On October 31, 2023, the Honourable Marc Miller, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, released An Immigration System for Canada’s Future—a report that lays out the government of Canada’s immigration plan. The report identifies actions to transform Canada’s immigration system, informed by engagement with a broad range of partners and stakeholders.
- Positioning Canada’s immigration system to adapt quickly and to respond to humanitarian crises
- Developing a new Francophone Immigration Policy to enhance the vitality of Francophone minority communities, while maintaining and increasing the demographic weight of French linguistic minority communities in Canada
- Improving the International Student Program by working with provinces and territories on a Recognized Institutions Framework so that post-secondary institutions with high standards in key areas such as integrity and student supports can benefit from faster processing of study permits
- Integrating housing, health care and infrastructure planning, along with other important services, into Canada’s immigration levels planning
- Building an advisory of newcomers with experience in immigration to inform program and policy improvements, and service delivery
- Creating a Chief International Talent Officer position to more effectively align immigration programs and pathways with the labour market, including industry and sector strategies
- Making the IRCC website more user-friendly, so that applicants can easily find the information they need
Erickson Immigration Group will continue to monitor developments and share updates as more news is available. Please contact your employer or EIG attorney if you have questions about anything we’re reporting above or case-specific questions.