UK Immigration Updates for EU, EEA and Swiss Citizens

The UK Home Office has released a primer for EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens who have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme or for a UK visa to navigate the changes within the UK immigration system. 

A New Digital Experience

Overall, the Home Office is digitizing the experience for users, including 

  • Creating a UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account when applying for a visa using the ID Check app, or to the EU Settlement Scheme
  • Using the UKVI account credentials to log into the online View and Prove service on GOV.UK
  • Accessing immigration information online
  • Notification of a successful application via email


Through June 30, EU, EEA, or Swiss citizens or family members granted status under the EU Settlement Scheme, can prove their rights with:

  • a valid passport or national identity card
  • a valid BRC/P, for non-EU, EEA or Swiss citizens and family members
  • online immigration status (or eVisa) using the View and Prove service on GOV.UK to generate a share code


After June 30, employers, landlords, and other service providers can require EU, EEA, or Swiss citizens, or their family member(s) covered by the Withdrawal Agreement, to provide evidence of status under the EU Settlement Scheme or the points-based immigration system.


Travel to the UK for EU, EEA, or Swiss Citizens Border and Security Checks:

EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens will continue to be subject to identity and security checks at the UK border. Border Force staff can verify travelers’ status with a travel document if it is linked to the UKVI account or through additional checks if travelers are using an alternative document.

From October 1, 2021, the UK will no longer recognize EU, EEA, and Swiss national identity cards for travel and entry to the UK. EU, EEA, and Swiss nationals not protected by the Withdrawal Agreement, including those with status under the EU Settlement Scheme, frontier workers, S2 Healthcare Visitors and Swiss National Swiss Service Providers, will have to use a passport to enter. 

EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens with indefinite leave to enter or remain will, from July 1, 2021, need to evidence their rights in the UK in the same way as non-EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens. 


Travel to the UK for Irish Citizens

Irish citizens’ status continues to be protected as part of Common Travel Area Arrangements. 


Maintaining the UKVI Account

Travelers are encouraged to maintain their UKVI accounts in order to avoid delays at the UK border. In particular, the account will need to be updated if there are changes to the user’s:

  • ID document, passport, or travel document
  • account sign in details (email address and phone number)
  • address
  • name or nationality