Switzerland Eases Travel Restrictions

The Swiss Federal Council is easing public health measures on a phased timetable. Most notably, Switzerland is expanding entry permissions for non-EU travelers, and easing the requirements for Schengen Area and vaccinated travelers.

From June 26, 2021
  • Persons entering from the Schengen area will no longer be required to quarantine.
  • Only air passengers who have not been vaccinated or recovered from COVID-19 will have to be tested on arrival.
  • All air passengers will have to provide contact details.
  • Vaccinated Non-EU/EFTA travelers may enter. It will again be possible for third-country citizens traveling from countries such as the USA, Albania, or Serbia to enter Switzerland.


Switzerland Shifts Focus to Countries/Regions with a Variant of the Virus of Concern

The current list of high-risk countries issued by the Federal Office of Public Health is to be revised and will only contain countries or regions where virus variants of concern to Switzerland are in circulation. Persons who have been vaccinated or who have recovered will be permitted to enter Switzerland from these countries or regions without having to be tested or to quarantine.

Those who are not vaccinated or recovered must present a negative PCR test or rapid antigen test and go into quarantine on entry.

In practice, this means persons who have been vaccinated or who have recovered do not have to produce a negative test even when traveling from countries where the Delta variant is widespread and do not have to quarantine on entry. 


International compatibility of the Swiss COVID certificate

The Swiss Federal Council will adopt two EU regulations on the EU Digital COVID Certificate. The process to have the Swiss certificate recognized by the EU was launched. The transition phase is to last 6 weeks from July 1, 2021.


Erickson Immigration Group will continue to send updates as more news is available. If you have questions about anything we’re reporting above or case-specific questions, please contact your employer or EIG attorney.