In July 2023, visa exempt applicants for Swedish student and work permits will be able to have their passports checked at five temporary locations in the United States and Canada, without a prior appointment.
The requirement to present the passport in person at a Swedish diplomatic mission was introduced on November 1, 2022. Previously, visa-exempt applicants could receive their permit and enter Sweden without visiting an embassy or consulate.
The locations and dates are as follows:
- July 3, 2023: Swedish consulate in Vancouver, Canada
- July 4, 2023: University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- July 5-6, 2023: University of California Berkeley, San Francisco, USA
- July 7, 2023: University of California LA, California, USA
- July 10-11, 2023: Rice University, Houston, USA
- July 12-13, 2023: DePaul University, Chicago, USA.
Applicants who require a visa or a residence permit card to enter Sweden cannot have their passport checked at these summer pop-up stations. Instead, they need to visit the Embassy of Sweden in Washington D.C. or Ottawa to provide fingerprints and to be photographed.
The same is true for those who require an interview, for example if they have applied for a residence permit to move to a family member in Sweden.
Erickson Insights & Analysis
Erickson Immigration Group will continue to share updates as more news is available. If you have questions about anything we’re reporting above or case-specific questions, please contact your employer or EIG attorney.