The Spanish government has updated its public health measures and restrictions, establishing a list of third countries whose residents are exempt from the travel restrictions to the European Union, and a set of specific categories of people who are exempt from these restrictions, regardless of their place of origin.
Exempted Countries and Travelers from Travel Restrictions
As of June 18, the following countries’ residents are exempted from the travel restrictions: Albania, Australia, Israel, Japan, Lebanon, New Zealand, Republic of North Macedonia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan.
The current travel restrictions applicable to travelers proceeding from third countries are still effective through June 30, 2021, and can be extended.
The restrictions are not applicable to travelers proceeding from third countries if they belong to the following categories:
- Residents in the EU, Schengen associated States, Andorra, Monaco, the Vatican (Holy See), or San Marino while traveling to this country providing documentary evidence.
- Holders of a long-term visa issued by a Member State or Schengen associated State to which they are traveling.
- Healthcare and elderly care professionals as well as health researchers undertaking their work activities.
- Personnel engaged in the transport of goods; sea and flight crew required to carry out air transport activities.
- Members of the diplomatic missions, consular posts, international and military organisms, civil protection, and humanitarian organizations for the performance of their official duties.
- Students undertaking their studies in the Member States or Schengen Associated States, holders of the corresponding visa/ permit and medical coverage, provided they are traveling to the country where they carry out their studies and the entry is undertaken during the academic year or 15 days prior to its commencement.
- Highly qualified employees whose activity is mandatory, cannot be postponed or undertaken remotely. This category includes participants in upscale sports competitions taking place in Spain. These circumstances shall be documented.
- Persons traveling for imperative family reasons duly accredited.
- Persons who provide documentary evidence of force majeure or necessity, or whose entry is permitted on humanitarian grounds.
- Residents of the exempted listed countries, traveling directly from these countries, transiting through countries included in the list, or transiting through international airports located in countries not included in the list. In relation to China, the reciprocity principle applies.
The limits on flights from South Africa and Brazil will remain in effect until July 6, 2021.
The 10 day-quarantine period for travelers from India has been extended until July 10, 2021. The 10-day quarantine period may be shortened on day 7 if the traveler takes a COVID-19 test with a negative result.
Erickson Immigration Group will continue to send updates as more news is available. If you have questions about anything we’re reporting above or case-specific questions, please contact your employer or EIG attorney.