On January 13, 2024, Israel’s Population and Immigration Authority issued a press release answering questions for foreign workers in this current period.
Questions and Answers (in English) are shared below:
- The foreign workers I employed left and it is not known when they will return. How can replacement workers be hired in the meantime? Will I receive the same number of foreign workers I hired? Who should I contact about this? You have to contact the private bureau where the employer is registered and invite new workers through it.
- To whom should I report that the foreign workers employed by me have left the country? How long is the waiting time until replacement foreign workers arrive? You have to report it to the bureau where the employer is registered.
- Due to the war, are there any changes in the employment conditions of the foreign workers? For example, can a foreign worker request a salary increase or vacation? Regarding the terms of employment – please contact the Commissioner for the Rights of Foreign Workers at the Ministry of Labor – email@example.com and by phone 074-7696161/0747696235.
- How can I know when new workers will arrive in the various sectors? We are working to bring in foreign workers for all sectors and various guidelines have been set in order to increase the supply as quickly as possible due to the situation created by the war.
- Who can the foreign workers turn to for information on various issues relevant to the war period? In view of the security situation, we have opened for you, dedicated workers, an inquiry and assistance line for your service in different languages at phone number 1-700-707-889, also, you can contact us through an online form for any inquiry or question or mental support.
- The foreign worker employed by me is in the maximum period of stay that he can be employed, is it possible to submit an exceptional application to continue to employ him due to the situation? In the construction and agriculture sectors – Yes
- How can I find out the rights of the foreign workers employed by me during the war? There is a person in charge of the rights of foreign workers at the Ministry of Labor – you can contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or by phone 074-7696161/074-7696235
- During this period, is the limitation of the geographic area and the sector of the foreign workers enforced? A nursing patient who has temporarily moved to a more central residential area may continue to employ the foreign worker who is caring for him, this without requiring a change in the worker’s geographic area, and provided that this is a continuation of the employment and not a new employment. A worker who requests to be placed with a new employer, the conditions for the new placement are in accordance with the normal procedures of the Authority without change.
- Is it possible to employ Palestinian workers at this time? If not, what is the alternative? For employing foreign workers – you can contact private bureaus / construction corporations for the purpose of employment.
- I want to bring foreign workers for the agriculture sector. How can this be done? Only the private bureaus can bring in foreign workers in the agriculture sector and they must be contacted. See the list of private bureaus in the agriculture sector.