Immigration New Zealand Updates Work Rights for Partners of a Student

Immigration New Zealand (INZ) has announced that partners of students studying level 7 or 8 qualifications specified on the Green List, can now apply for a work visa with open conditions.

Key Information
  • INZ has updated the Green List with the main Bachelor degrees and Bachelor Honours qualifications that lead to registration for certain occupations. These are occupations that have registration as a requirement instead of New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) qualifications.
  • People with student visas studying for these registration qualifications can now support their partner’s application for a Partner of a Student Work Visa.
  • Those interested can check the Green List appendix in the amendment circular for the eligible qualifications.
  • For partners who are now eligible, their dependent school-aged children can be treated as domestic students. The children can apply for a Dependent Child Student Visa so they will not have to pay tuition fees to go to school. This currently applies to anyone with a Partner of a Student Work Visa.
Erickson Insights & Analysis

Erickson Immigration Group will continue to monitor developments and share updates as more news is available. Please contact your employer or EIG attorney if you have questions about anything we’re reporting above or case-specific questions.