USCIS Streamlines Permanent Resident Application Process

Applicants filing for lawful permanent resident status can also apply for their Social Security number (SSN) or replacement card as part of the adjustment of status (AOS) application process.

USCIS announced on Monday, August 9, that it would be revising Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to include questions relevant to applying for an SSN or replacement card. In the past, applicants would need to apply at a Social Security office. These changes will not change the fees.

The change goes into effect immediately. Moving forward, after USCIS approves a Form I-485, USCIS will share the SSN data with the Social Security Administration, which will automatically assign an SSN or issue a replacement card.


Erickson Insights

These changes from USCIS follow the Biden administration’s goal to streamline the immigration process and make it more efficient and equitable for applicants and beneficiaries.