Singapore Stops Accepting New Entry Applications for Work Pass Holders from Higher-Risk Countries

On Friday, May 7, the Ministry of Manpower announced that it would not accept new entry applications for work pass holders from higher-risk countries effective immediately. Exceptions to this rule apply to Australia, Brunei, mainland China, New Zealand, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau, and workers needed for key strategic projects and infrastructural works.


Except for migrant domestic workers, construction, shipyard, and processing workers, work pass holders who have already received entry approval for before July 5 will no longer be permitted to enter.

This announcement applies to pass holders from all categories, including Employment Pass Holder, S pass holder, and Work Permit holder.

The Ministry of Manpower said it would “inform employers on when to re-apply for entry when the situation has stabilised and will prioritise them for entry approval then.” The MOM is rescheduling arrivals for those exempted workers.



  • Effective April 23 at 11:59 PM, all long-term pass holders and short-term visitors who have traveled to India within the last 14 days will not be allowed to enter or transit through Singapore. This includes anyone who has received prior approval to enter the country.
  • Individuals with a travel history to India already in Singapore who have not completed their 14-day stay-home notice (SHN) by 11:59 PM on Thursday will have to complete an additional 7-day SHN at a dedicated facility instead of their place of residence.
  • From May 8, travelers from the United Kingdom, South Africa, Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Pakistan, and Sri Lanka, will have to complete the full 21-day SHN at a dedicated facility. Travelers who have not completed their SHN before May 8 will have to remain in their current location.


Erickson Immigration Group will continue to send updates as more news is available. If you have questions about anything we’re reporting above or case-specific questions, please contact your employer or EIG attorney.