Japan eVisa Extended to Additional Countries

As of December 15, 2023, the JAPAN eVISA, which allows for online visa applications and issues an electronic visa for a short-term stay for the purpose of tourism, is available to residents in the following countries/region:

  1. All foreign nationals/people residing in the following countries/region, except those who are exempt from short-term visas: Brazil, Cambodia, Canada, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, and the United States.
  2. Visa application through an agency (Japan Visa Application Center, accredited travel agencies, etc.)
    • (1) Nationals of China, who reside in China(2) Nationals of Viet Nam, who reside in Viet Nam (For the time being, only those Vietnamese who participate in a packaged tour organized by designated travel agencies.)
    • (Note: Visa application must be made through the travel agencies accredited by the Japanese overseas establishment. The agencies will begin applying for visa on the JAPAN eVISA system as soon as their preparations are complete.)
    • (3) All foreign nationals/people residing in Mongolia, except those who are exempt from short-term visa.
      (Note: Visa application must be made at the Japan Visa Application Center (VAC) from December 15, 2023. For more information on the VAC, visit the website of the Embassy of Japan in Mongolia.)
Erickson Insights and Analysis

The Japan eVISA is available only to those who travel to Japan by plane. During the application process, the applicant may be requested to appear in person at the Japanese overseas establishment with jurisdiction over the place of the applicant’s residence for an interview.

Travelers who wish to visit Japan for a long-term stay, should submit their application to the Japanese Embassy, Consulate General or Consular office with jurisdiction over their place of residence.

Erickson Immigration Group will continue to monitor developments and share updates as more news is available. Please contact your employer or EIG attorney if you have questions about anything we’re reporting above or case-specific questions.