Japan | International Arrival Measures Eased

From June 1, New Border Measures (28) went into effect for travel to Japan. The requirements for the on-arrival testing, self-quarantine period, and place of accommodation after entry into Japan may be based on the category (“Red,” “Yellow,” and “Blue”) of the countries/regions in which the entrants stayed within 14 days before arriving in Japan. For more information about country categories, please click here.

From June 10, based on the New Border Measures (29), foreign nationals may apply to enter Japan if they meet the necessary eligibility terms and if the receiving organizations located in Japan complete the Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS) application. Entry is permitted for:

  • NEW! Foreign nationals newly entering Japan for a short-term stay for tourism (only when a travel agency serves as the receiving organization of the entrants).
  • Continued from March 1: Foreign nationals newly entering Japan for a short-term stay (less than three months) for purposes including business and employment, and foreign nationals newly entering Japan for a long-term stay.
  • All foreign nationals who wish to newly enter Japan need to apply for a visa, except those with a re-entry permit.
  • The traveler’s receiving organization’s certificate of completion of Registration to the ERFS system along with other visa application documents in response to the purpose of the visit.
  • Foreign nationals who will be allowed new entry into Japan for tourism will be limited to those from the countries/regions of the “Blue” category.
Erickson Insights

These eased measures from the government of Japan allow more regular travel to resume to Japan while still maintaining health and safety precautions.

As COVID-19 continues to evolve, guidance from government agencies and health advisories is subject to change. Erickson Immigration Group will continue to share updates as more news is available. If you have questions about anything we’re reporting above or case-specific questions, please contact your employer or EIG attorney.