Japan | CoE Application is Digitized

Foreign nationals who wish to work in Japan are required to apply for a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE), issued by the Immigration Services Agency of Japan. Once the CoE is issued, the original must be couriered to the foreign national for them to apply for an entry visa at the Japan Embassy or General Consulate in the country.

From March 17, 2023, onwards:

  1. For CoE applications made from March 17 onwards, the result can be received electronically instead of in original hard copy/paper.
  2. The FN should be able to apply for an entry visa with an electronic copy.

The aim is to reduce the time it takes to complete the Japanese work permit process.

Erickson Insights

Erickson Immigration Group will continue to share updates as more news is available. If you have questions about anything we’re reporting or case-specific questions, please contact your employer or EIG attorney.