Italy Requires New Long-Stay Visa for Family Members of Italian and EU Citizens

Following the recent amendment to Article 23 of Legislative Decree 30/2007, the Italian government has announced that short-stay visas (VSU) for tourism/visit to family members will no longer be issued to foreign family members of Italian or EU citizens who intend to reunite with their family member permanently residing in Italy.

Instead, from June 1, 2024, foreign family members of Italian or EU citizens, traveling to Italy for family reunification and intending to stay more than 90 days, will be issued a national visa for “family reasons”.

The following family members are entitled to family reunification:

  • The spouse;
  • The partner who has contracted a registered partnership with the EU citizen based on the legislation of a Member State, provided the legislation of the host Member State equates the registered partnership to marriage and in accordance with the conditions laid down by the relevant legislation of the host Member State;
  • Direct descendants under the age of 21 or dependent, and those of the spouse or partner;
  • Direct ascendants who are dependent, and those of the spouse or partner.

For family members accompanying or joining the Italian or EU citizen for periods of less than 3 months, a visa for tourism or visit to family members will continue to be issued free of charge.

What to Expect
  • Visas will be issued free of charge.
  • The visa application can be submitted through the Prenotami portal.
  • Nulla Osta (entry clearance) from the unified immigration desk (SUI) in Italy is not required.
  • The visa will be valid for 365 days with multiple entries.
  • Family members must apply for a residence permit for “family reasons” within eight days of entering Italy by completing the appropriate application at the Post Office.
Erickson Insights & Analysis

Erickson Immigration Group will continue to monitor developments and share updates as more news is available. Please contact your employer or EIG attorney if you have questions about anything we’re reporting above or case-specific questions.