Chile Reopens For International Tourism Travel

The Chilean government has reopened Chile’s borders for international travel and tourism as of October 1, 2021.

What to Expect
  • Travelers to Chile who are neither Chilean citizens nor residents of Chile must obtain a “Mobility Pass” (Pase de Movibilidad), verifying that they have complete a full course of vaccination against COVID-19. Travelers vaccinated outside of Chile may obtain a Mobility Pass here.
  • The Mobility Pass must be obtained prior to arriving in Chile. Obtaining the Mobility Pass outside of Chile may take 2-3 weeks.
  • Travelers must complete a 5-day quarantine at a private residence or hotel upon arrival in Chile.
  • Chilean citizens or residents without a Mobility Pass must complete a 7-day quarantine at a private residence or hotel.
  • Travelers must complete an online form with the Ministry of Health and complete a daily health survey for 14 days after arrival.
  • Travelers (of all ages) will have to present three documents when boarding:
    • A completed “Affidavit of Travelers” electronic form prepared less than 48 hours before boarding;
    • Proof of a negative result from a COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to boarding their final flight to Chile; and
    • Proof of a health insurance policy that provides coverage for COVID-19 and related health issues during the traveler’s stay in Chile.


Travelers departing Chile with a valid Mobility Pass have no restriction from departing Chile. Travelers without a Mobility Pass who are Chilean citizens or residents of Chile must obtain a permit from the Comisaría Virtual in order to depart Chile.


Erickson Insights

Chile has maintained some of the strictest travel-related restrictions throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Until September 30, 2021, only Chileans and Non-Chilean residents were permitted to enter Chile. Current guidance is subject to change based on the local spread of the virus.

Erickson Immigration Group will continue to share updates as more news is available. If you have questions about anything we’re reporting above or case-specific questions, please contact your employer or EIG attorney.