Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has announced the removal of the education requirement under the Canadian work experience stream (Stream B) of the Hong Kong permanent residence pathways effective August 15, 2023.
- More Hong Kong residents with work experience in Canada will be eligible for permanent residence regardless of their education.
- Applicants will no longer have to submit proof of their education.
- In February 2023, Canada extended the deadline for Hong Kong residents to apply for an open work permit until February 7, 2025. The open work permit allows eligible Hong Kong residents to gain work experience in Canada. Under the Hong Kong open work permit public policy, spouses or common-law partners and dependent children are also eligible to apply for a study or work permit.
- At the same time, the government also expanded eligibility to Hong Kong residents who have graduated within the past 10 years (previously 5 years) from a post-secondary learning institution in Canada or abroad.
- Two pathways to permanent residence for Hong Kong residents currently in Canada were opened in June 2021 and will be in effect until the end of August 2026.
Erickson Insights & Analysis
Erickson Immigration Group will continue to share updates as more news is available. If you have questions about anything we’re reporting above or case-specific questions, please contact your employer or EIG attorney.